International Journal of Educational Researchers 2013, Vol. 4(2) 11-29
Organizing Successful Foreign Students Exchange
Ivanka Shopova & Ekaterina Arabska
pp. 11 - 29 | Manu. Number: ijers.2013.007
Published online: July 01, 2013 | Number of Views: 98 | Number of Download: 86
Students exchange activities in the global world we are living in now will become more and more popular and searched for not only by students on their own but also by universities’ management as a part of joint degree programs and the opportunities they give for transferring innovations, increasing competitiveness and expanding markets. This paper presents the most important factors influencing the process of training students from abroad (particularly exchanges between countries with very differing cultures) concerning the significance of social integration and intercultural communication. An investigation into good practices being presented by Bulgarian Human Resources Development Center (as the coordinating body in Bulgaria of the European Lifelong Learning Programme) was accomplished and the main points of reserch were identified. Three types of questionnares were prepared - for teachers, for administrative staff and for students. The results were summurized and analyzed according to the research topic. Some curricula development principles are proposed and recommendations are given concerning development of both student-oriented and competence-based programs which is not fully in its essence adopted yet as an approach in many countries and sometimes misunderstood.
Keywords: : students exchange, higher education, social integration, intercultural communication, curricula development, student-oriented and competence-based learning
|How to Cite this Article?
APA 6th edition
Shopova, I. & Arabska, E. (2013). Organizing Successful Foreign Students Exchange. International Journal of Educational Researchers , 4(2), 11-29.
Shopova, I. and Arabska, E. (2013). Organizing Successful Foreign Students Exchange. International Journal of Educational Researchers , 4(2), pp. 11-29.
Chicago 16th edition
Shopova, Ivanka and Ekaterina Arabska (2013). "Organizing Successful Foreign Students Exchange". International Journal of Educational Researchers 4 (2):11-29.
- Curriculum Guidelines for Access Programmes into Higher Education for Underrepresented Adult Learners (2002) CHAGAL, 101298-CP-1-2002-1-AT-GRUNDTVIG-G1
- Higher education Development (2012) Bologna Process Proceedings, Human Resources Development Center, Bulgaria
- GLOSSARY: RECOMMENDATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 23 April 2008 on the establishment of the European Qualifications Framework for lifelong learning: http://www.eucen.eu/EQFpro/GeneralDocs/FilesFeb09/GLOSSARY.pdf
- Human Resource Development Centre (HRDC) - Bulgaria: http://www.hrdc.bg/cgi-bin/e-
- Johannes Keogh, Eileen Russel-Roberts (2008) Exchange programmes and student mobility: Meeting student’s expectations or an expensive holiday? Nurse Education Today (2009) 29, 108-116
- Lifelong Learning Programme (LLP) Guide 2013 : http://ec.europa.eu/education/llp/doc/call13/part1_en.pdf
- Mehmet Altan Kurnaz, Sabiha Odabasi Cimer. How do students know that they have learned? An investigation of students’ strategies. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 2 (2010) 3666-3672
- Mohd. Yusof Abdullah, Noor Rahamah Abu Bakar & Maizatul Haizan Mahbob. The dynamics of student participation in classroom: observation on level and forms of participation. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 59 (2012) 61 - 70
- Rachel A. Smith, Nigar G. Khawaja. A review of the acculturation experiences of international students. International Journal of Intercultural Relations 35 (2011) 699- 713
- Yan Yang, Diane Montgomery. Gaps or bridges in multicultural teacher education: A Q study of attitudes toward student diversity. Teaching and Teacher Education 30 (2013) 27 - 37