The International Journal of Educational Researchers 2016, 7(3): 21-31
Comparison of Students in Vocational Health and Vocational College with Respect to Self-Esteem and Career Adaptability
Ali Eryılmaz & Ahmet Kara
pp. 21-31 | Manuscript Number: ijers.2016.012
Published Online: December 01, 2016
Manuscript Views: 66 | Manuscript Download: 40
APA 6th edition
In-text: (Eryılmaz & Kara, 2016)
Your Bibliography: Eryılmaz, A. & Kara, A. (2016). Comparison of Students in Vocational Health and Vocational College with Respect to Self-Esteem and Career Adaptability. The International Journal of Educational Researchers , 7(3), 21-31.
In-text: (Eryılmaz and Kara, 2016)
Your Bibliography: Eryılmaz, A. and Kara, A. (2016). Comparison of Students in Vocational Health and Vocational College with Respect to Self-Esteem and Career Adaptability. The International Journal of Educational Researchers , 7(3), pp. 21-31.
Chicago 16th edition
In-text: (Eryılmaz and Kara 2016)
Your Bibliography: Eryılmaz, Ali and Ahmet Kara (2016). "Comparison of Students in Vocational Health and Vocational College with Respect to Self-Esteem and Career Adaptability". The International Journal of Educational Researchers 7 (3):21-31.
The purpose of this study is to examine the relationship between self-esteem and career adaptability of vocational college students and vocational health college students. Total 125 male vocational college students took part in the study (their programs were mechatronics environment protect and control and mechanic). Total 123 female vocational health college students took part in the study (their programs were old people care, emergency medical technician, optician, medical documentation and secretary medical imaging and medical laboratory program). The study was carried out in the cross-sectional model. The relationship between variables was examined by t-test for independent groups and multiple regression analysis technique. In this study, positive moderate significant relationship was found between career adaptability and self-esteem. Vocational health college students have higher career adaptability than vocational college students. The dimensions of self-esteem are differently related with adaptability of students in different college.
Keywords: Career adaptability,college students,self-esteem,exploration,planning
- Arnett, J. J. (2001). Conceptions of the transition to adulthood: Perspectives from adolescence to midlife. Journal of Adult Development, 8, 133–143.
- Baumeister, R. E (1993). Understanding the inner nature of low selfesteem: Uncertain, fragile, protective, and conflicted. In R. Baumeister (Ed.), Self-esteem: The puzzle of low self-regard ( pp. 201-218 ). New York: Plenum Press.
- Betz, N.E., Klein, K, & Taylor, K.M. (1996). Evaluation of a short form of the career decision making self-efficacy scale. Journal of Career Assessment, 4, 47-57.
- Burke, R.J. (2001). Workaholism components, job satisfaction, and career progress. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 31, 2339–56.
- Caspi, A., McClay, J., Moffitt, T.E., Mill, J., Martin, J., & Craig, I.W. (2002). Role of genotype in the cycle of violence in maltreated children. Science, 297, 851– 854.
- Çetingül, İ. & Dülger, İ. (2006). ÖSS başarı durumunun il, bölge ve okul türlerine göre analizi. Eğitim ve Bilim Dergisi, 31 (142), 45–55.
- Coopersmith, S. (1967). The antecedents of self-esteem. San Francisco: Freeman.
- Cosmides, L., & Tooby, J. (1996). Are humans good intuitive statisticians after all?: rethinking some conclusions of the literature on judgment under uncertainty. Cognition, 1–73
- Creed, P. A., Fallon, T., & Hood, M. (2009). The relationship between career adaptability, person and situation variables, and career concerns in young adults. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 74, 219-229.
- Doğan, T. (2011). İki boyutlu benlik saygısı: Kendini sevme/özyeterlik ölçeğinin türkçe uyarlaması, geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması. Eğitim ve Bilim, 36(162), 126-137.
- Duffy, R. D. (2010). Sense of control and career adaptability among undergraduate students. Journal of Career Assessment, 18, 420-430.
- Duffy, R. D., Douglass, R. P., & Autin, K. L. (2015). Career adaptability and academic satisfaction: Examining work volition and self-efficacy as mediators. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 90, 46-54
- Eryılmaz, A. (2008). Barışa yönelik tutumların öz saygı ve cinsiyet değişkenleriyle incelenmesi. Balıkesir Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 12(21), 23-31.
- Eryilmaz, A. (2014). Perceived personality traits and types of teachers and the relationship to the subjective well-being and academic achievements of adolescents. Educational Sciences:Theory & Practice, 14, 2049-2062.
- Eryılmaz, A., & Kara, A. (2016). Investigation of psychometric properties of career adaptability scale. The Online Journal of Counseling and Education, 2016, 5(1), 29-39.
- Fiori, M., Bollmann, G., & Rossier, J. (2015). Exploring the path through which career adaptability increasese job satisfaction and lowers job stress: The role of affect. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 91, 113-121.
- Fraenkel, J. R., & Wallen, N. E. (1993). How to design and evaluate research in education. New York: Mcgraw Hill.
- Grinde, B. (2012). An evolutionary perspective on happiness and mental health. J Mind Behavior, 33, 49-68.
- Hirschi, A. (2009). Career adaptability development in adolescence: Multiple predictors and effect on sense of power and life satisfaction. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 74, 145-
- Janssen, P. M., Schaufeli, W. B., & Houkes, I. (1999). Work-related and individual determinants of the three burnout dimensions. Work and Stress, 13, 74–86.
- Johnston, C. S., Luciano, E. C., Maggiori, C., Ruch, W., & Rossier, J. (2013). Validation of the German version of the career adapt-abilities scale and its relation to orientations to happiness and work stress. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 83(3), 295–304.
- Koen, J., Klehe, U. -C., Van Vianen, A. E. M., Zikic, J., & Nauta, A. (2010). Job-search strategies and reemployment quality: The impact of career adaptability. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 77, 126−139.
- Kokko, K. & Pulkkinen, L. (1997). Työttömien psyykkinen selviytyminen ja sen kehityksellinen tausta. Psykologia, 32, 349-359.
- Krumboltz, J. D. (1996). A learning theory of career counseling. In M. L. Savickas & W. Bruce Walsh (Eds.), Handbook of career counseling theory and practice (pp. 55-80). Palo Alto, CA: Davies-Black.
- Lefkowitz, R. J., & Shenoy, S. K. (2005). Transduction of receptor signals by beta-arrestins. Science 308, 512–517.
- Markus, H. R., & Kitayama, S. (1991b). Culture and the self: Implications for cognition, emotion, and motivation. Psychological Review, 98, 224-253.
- Maslow, A. (1971). The farther reaches of human nature. New York: The Viking Press.
- McArdle, S., Waters, L., Briscoe, J., & Hall, D. (2007). Employability during Unemployment: Adaptability, career identity and human and social capital. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 71, 247-264.
- Nauta, M. M. (2010). The development, evolution, and status of Holland’s theory of vocational personalities: Reflections and future directions for counseling psychology. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 57(1), 11-22.
- Patton, W., Bartrum, D. A., & Creed, P. A. (2004). Gender differences for optimism, self-esteem, expectations and goals in predicting career planning and exploration in adolescents. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance, 4, 193–209.
- Peseschkian, N. (1996). Positive family therapy: The family as therapist. New Delhi, Sterling Paperbacks.
- Peseschkian, N., & Walker R. R. (1987) Positive psychotherapy theory and practice of a new method. Berlin, Springer-verlag.
- Rosenberg, M. (1979). Conceiving the Self. New York: Basic Books.
- Rossi, A., Cetrano, G., Pertile, R., Rabbi, L., Donisi, V., Grigoletti, L., Curtolo, C., Tansella, M., Thornicroft, G., & Amaddeo, F. (2012). Burnout, compassion fatigue, and compassion satisfaction among staff in community-based mental health services. Psychiatry Research, 933-938.
- Rottinghaus, P. J., Day, S. X., & Borgen, F. H. (2005). The career futures ınventory: A measure of career-related adaptability and optimism. Journal of Career Assessment, 1, 3- Reed, J.A., Ainsworth, B.E., Wilson, D.K., Mixon, G., & Cook, A., (2004). Awareness and use of community walking trails. Preventive Medicine 39, 903–908.
- Salmela-Aro, K. & Nurmi, J.-E. (2007). Self-esteem during university studies predict career years later. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 70, 463–477.
- Santrock, J.W. (2006). Life-Span Development (10th Ed.).New York: McGraw Hill Companies, Inc.
- Savickas, M. L. (2005). The theory and practice of career construction. In R. W. Lent & S. D. Brown (Eds.), Career development and counseling: Putting theory and research to work (pp.42-70). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
- Savickas, M. L. (2012). Life design: A paradigm for career intervention in the 21st century. Journal of Counseling and Development, 90, 13-19.
- Savickas, M. L., & Porfeli, J. E. (2012). Career adapt-abilities scale: Construction, reliability, and measurment equivalence across 13 countries. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 80,-673.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Salanova, M., Gonza´lez-Roma, V., & Bakker, A. B. (2002). The measurement of engagement and burnout and: a confirmative analytic approach. Journal of Happiness Studies, 3, 71–92.
- Schulenberg, J.E. & Zarrett, N.R. (2005). Mental health during emerging adulthood: Continuity and discontinuity in courses, causes, and functions, Washington DC US:American Psychological Association.
- Smith, H. M., & Betz, N. E. (2002). An examination of efficacy and esteem pathways to depression in young adulthood. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 49, 438-448.
- Solberg, E., Diener, E., & Robinson, M. D. (2004). Why are materialists less satisfied? In T.Kasser & A. Kanner (Eds.), Psychology and consumer culture: The struggle for a good life in a materialistic world (pp. 29–48). Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Stumpf, S. A., Colarelli, S. M., & Hartmann, K. (1983). Development of the career exploration survey (CES). Journal of Vocational Behavior, 22, 191-226.
- Suls, J. (1989). Self-awareness and identity in adolescence. In J. Worell & F. Danner (Eds.), The adolescent as decision-maker. New York: Academic Press.
- Super, D. E. (1980). A life-span life-space approach to career development. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 16, 282-298.
- Tafarodi, R. W., & Swann, W. B., Jr. (2001). Two-dimensional self-esteem: Theory and measurement. Personality and Individual Differences, 31, 653-673.
- Uçar, C., & Özerbaş, M.A. (2013). Mesleki ve teknik eğitimin dünyadaki ve Türkiye’deki konumu. Eğitim ve Öğretim Araştırmaları Dergisi, 2(2), 242-253.
- Zacher, H. (2014). İndividual difference predictors of change in career adaptability over time. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 84, 188-198.
- Zikic, J., & Klehe, U.C. (2006). Job loss as a blessing in disguise: The role of career exploration and career planning in predicting reemployment quality. Journal of Vocational Behavior,69, 391-409.