The International Journal of Educational Researchers 2015, 6(1): 13-30
An Analysis on Motivational Beliefs of Preparatory Class Students about Learning English
Nihal YURTSEVEN, Sertel ALTUN & Hasan AYDIN
pp. 13-30 | Manuscript Number: ijers.2015.002
Published Online: March 01, 2015
Manuscript Views: 101 | Manuscript Download: 112
APA 6th edition
In-text: (YURTSEVEN, ALTUN & AYDIN, 2015)
Your Bibliography: YURTSEVEN, N., ALTUN, S. & AYDIN, H. (2015). An Analysis on Motivational Beliefs of Preparatory Class Students about Learning English . The International Journal of Educational Researchers , 6(1), 13-30.
In-text: (YURTSEVEN, ALTUN and AYDIN, 2015)
Your Bibliography: YURTSEVEN, N., ALTUN, S. and AYDIN, H. (2015). An Analysis on Motivational Beliefs of Preparatory Class Students about Learning English . The International Journal of Educational Researchers , 6(1), pp. 13-30.
Chicago 16th edition
In-text: (YURTSEVEN, ALTUN and AYDIN 2015)
Your Bibliography: YURTSEVEN, Nihal, Sertel ALTUN and Hasan AYDIN (2015). "An Analysis on Motivational Beliefs of Preparatory Class Students about Learning English ". The International Journal of Educational Researchers 6 (1):13-30.
The purpose of this study is to analyze the motivational beliefs of preparatory class students to learn English. The research was carried out utilizing a mixed method where quantitative and qualitative data were used together. The sample chosen purposively consists of 211 students attending the School of Foreign Languages at Yıldız Technical University. As a quantitative data collection tool, the motivational beliefs dimension of “Motivated Strategies for Learning Questionnaire (MSLQ)” was used. Qualitative data were collected via two open-ended questions which were asked to have an insight about motivational beliefs of the students. Quantative data were analyzed via t-test and ANOVA statistics while qualitative data were analyzed through descriptive analysis. For quantitative results, the findings initially indicated that there was a significant difference in motivational beliefs between male and female students in favour of female students. Secondly, there was a significant difference in motivational beliefs associated with self-efficacy and test anxiety depending on English proficiency level of the students. Thirdly, the resource of motivation did not constitute a significant difference in motivational beliefs. Finally, qualitative findings revealed that an enjoyable learning atmosphere motivated the students to learn English.
Keywords: Learning English, motivational beliefs, learning environment, self-efficacy, anxiety.
- Asan, R. N., Nair, N. R. & Iyyapan S. (2008). Some factors affecting English learning at tertiary level. Iranian Journal of Language Studies, 2(4), 485-512.
- Altun, S. & Erden, M. (2006). Öğrenmede motive edici stratejiler ölçeğinin geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması. Yeditepe Üniversitesi Edu7, 2(1),1-16.
- Aydın, S. & Zengin, B. (2008). Yabancı dil öğreniminde kaygı: Bir literatür özeti. Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies. 4(1), 81-94.
- Bain, S. K., McCallum, R. S., Bell S. M., Cochran, J. L. & Sawyer, S. C. (2010). Foreign language learning aptitudes, attitudes, attributions, and achievement of postsecondary students identified as gifted. Journal of AdvancedAcademics, 22, 130-156.
- Balcı, A. (2009) Sosyal bilimlerde araştırma: Yöntem, teknik ve ilkeler. Ankara: Pegem A Yayıncılık.
- Balçıkanlı, C. (2008). Fostering learner autonomy in EFL classrooms. Kastamonu Eğitim Dergisi. 16(1), 277¬284.
- Bektaş, Y. (2007). Turkish students’ willingness to communicate in English. Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Buca Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 21, 115-123.
- Boekaerts, M., (2002). Motivation to learn. EducationalPractices Series. 10 (1), 1-27.
- Carreira, J. M. (2011). Relationship between motivation for learning EFL and intrinsic motivation for learning in general among Japanese elementary school students. System: An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics, 39, 90-102.
- Carreira, J. M. (2012). Motivational orienations and psychological needs in EFL learning among elementary school students in Japan. System: An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics, 40 (2), 191-202.
- Chen, H.-Y. (2007). The relationship between EFL learners’ self-efficacy beliefs and english performance. (Doktora Tezi). Access adress: http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-11132007-162400/
- Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research. USA: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Csizer, K. & Dörnyei, Z. (2005). Language learners’ motivational profiles and their motivated learning behavior. Language Learning, 55(4), 613-659.
- Çubukçu, F. (2008). A study on the correlation between self efficacy and foreign language leaming anxiety. Journal of Theory andPractice in Education, 4(1), 148-158.
- Deci. E. L. & Ryan, R. M. (1985). Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behaviour. New York: Plenum.
- Deci. E. L. & Ryan, R. M. (2000). The "what" and "why" of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self- determination of behavior. PsychologicalInquiry, 11(4), 227-268.
- Deci. E. L. & Ryan, R. M. (2008). Facilitating optimal motivation and psychological well-being across life's domains. Canadian Psychology, 49 (1), 14-23.
- Demir, A. (20.10.2012). Ülkemizde yabancı dil öğretimi/öğrenimi sorunu ve bazı öneriler
- Access adres: http://www.egitimsen.org.tr/ekler/210646bf95f8247410cd553f4d1935f_ek.pdf.
- Dörnyei, Z. (2003). Attitudes, orientations, and motivations in language learning: Advances in theory, research, and applications. Language Learning, 53(1), 3-32.
- Gardner, R. C. (2006). The socio-educational model of second language acquisition: A research paradigm. EUROSLA Yearbook, 6(1), 237-260.
- George, D., & Mallery, P. (2003). SPSSfor Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Gobel, P. & Mori, S. (2007). Success and failure in the EFL classroom: Exploring students’ attributional beliefs in language learning. EUROSLA Yearbook, 7 (1), 49-69.
- Guba, E. G. & Lincoln, Y. S. (1994). Competing paradigms in qualitative research. In Denzin, N. K. & Lincoln, Y. S. (Eds.), Handbook of qualitative research (pp. 105-117). London: Sage.
- Hsieh, P.-H. (2008). Why are college foreign language students' self-efficacy, attitude, and motivation so different? International Education, 3#(1), 76-94.
- Hsieh, P.-H. & Kang, H-S. (2010). Attribution and self-efficacy and their interrelationship in the Korean EFL context. Language Learning: A Journal of Research in Language Studies, 60 (3), 606-627.
- Huang, K-M. (2011). Motivating lessons: A classroom-oriented investigation of the effects of content-based instruction on EFL young learners’ motivated behaviours and classroom verbal interaction. Elsevier Science: System,39 (2), 186-201.
- Huang, S.-C. (2008). Assessing motivation and learning strategies using the motivated strategies for learning questionnaire in a foreign language learning context. Social Behavior andPersonality, 36(4), 529-534.
- Işık, A. (2008). Yabancı dil eğitimimizdeki yanlışlar nereden kaynaklanıyor? Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 4(2), 15-26.
- Javid, C. Z., Al-Asmari, A. R. & Farooq, U. (2012). Saudi undergraduates' motivational orientations towards English language learning along gender and university major lines: a comparative study. European Journal of Social Sciences, 27(2), 283-300.
- Karataş, H. (2011). Üniversite öğrencilerinin epistemolojik inançları, öğrenme yaklaşımları ve problem çözme becerilerinin akademik motivasyonu yordama gücü (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Yıldız Technical University, Turkey.
- Kassim, M. A., Hancock, D. R., Hanafi, S. R. M., & Omar, A. N. (2004). Recent research in student motivation. In Nata, R. (Ed.), Progress in Education (101-138). USA: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Matsumoto, M. (2009, November). Second language learners' motivation and their perceptions of teachers' motivation. International conference on teaching and learning in higher education: Quality learning in higher education. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Mills, N., Pajares, F. & Herron C. (2007). Self-efficacy of college intermediate French students: Relation to achievement and motivation. Language Learning, 57(3), 417-442.
- Nikolov, M. (1999). 'Why do you learn English?' 'Because the teacher is short.' A study of Hungarian children's foreign language learning motivation. Language Teaching Research, 3 (1), 33-56.
- Noels, K. A., Pelletier, L. G., Clement, R. & Vallerand, R. J. (2003).Why are you learning a second language? Motivational orientations and self-determination theory. Language Learning, 53 (1), 33-63.
- Oral, Y. (2010). Türkiye’de yabancı dil eğitim politikaları bağlamında İngilizce: ‘Eleştirel bir çalışma’. Alternatif Eğitim E-Dergisi, 7(1), 59-68.
- Oxford, R. & Shearin, J. (1994). Language learning motivation: Expanding the theoretical framework. The Modern Language Journal, 78(1), 12-28.
- Paker, T. (2006). Çal Bölgesindeki Okullarda İngilizce Öğretiminin Sorunları ve Çözüm Önerileri. Çal Sempozyumu, 1-3 Eylül 2006. Denizli: Pamukkale Üniversitesi. Access adres:
- tpaker.pamukkale.edu.tr/articles/Çal%20Sempozyumu.doc [20.10.2012].
- Pajares, F. (2003). Self-efficacy beliefs, motivation, and achievement in writing: A review of the literature. Reading & Writing Quarterly, 19, 139-158. DOI: 10.1080/10573560390143085.
- Pickens, M. T. (2007). Teacher and student perspectives on motivation within the high school science classroom (unpublished doctoral dissertation). Auburn University, USA
- Pintrich, P. R. (2000). The role of goal orientation in self-regulated learning. In Boekaerts, M., Pintrich P. R., Zeidner M. (Eds.), Handbook of self regulation (451-502). USA: Academic Press.
- Pintrich, P. & De Groot E.V. (1990). Motivational and Self-Regulated Learning Components of Classroom Academic Performance. Journal of Educational Psychology, 82(1), 33-50.
- Pintrich, P. R. & Schunk, D. H. (2002). Motivation in education: Theory, research and applications. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Merrill.
- Pintrich, P. R., Smith, D., Garcia, T. & McKeachie, W. J. (1991). A manual for the use of the motivated strategies for learning questionnaire (MSQL). National Center for Research to Improve Postsecondary Teaching and Learning, 1(1), 10- 28.
- Qu, W.-J. (2009). Stimulating foreign language learning motivation-from the perspective of cognition and meta-cognition. US-China Foreign Language, 7 (10), 34-38.
- Ryan, R. M. & Deci, E. L. (2000). Intrinsic and extrinsic motivations: Classic defnitions and new directions. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25(1), 54-67.
- Sapir, E. (2007). Language: An introduction to the study of speech. USA: Biblio Bazaar.
- Schunk, D. H. & Ertmer, P. A. (2000). Self-regulation and academic leaming: Self-efficacy enhancing interventions. In Boekaerts, M., Pintrich P. R., Zeidner M. (Eds.), Handbook of self-regulation (631 - 649). USA: Academic Press.
- Soner, O. (2007). Türkiye’de Yabancı Dil Eğitiminin Dünü Bugünü. Marmara Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 7(28), 397-404.
- Şahinkarakaş, Ş. (2011). Young students’ success and failure attributions in language learning. Social Behavior andPersonality, 39 (7), 879-886.
- Tse, L. (2000). Student perceptions of foreign language study: A qualitative analysis of foreign language autobiographies. The Modern Language Journal, 84 (1), 69-84.
- Wang, J.-K. (2008). Stimulating students’ motivation in foreign language teaching. US-China Foreign Language, 6(1), 30-34.
- Wen-jie, Q. (2009). Stimulating foreign language learning motivation-from the perspective of cognition and meta-cognition. US-China Foreign Language, 7 (10): 34-38.
- Williams, M. & Burden, R.L. (1997). Psychology for language teachers: A social constructivist approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Yurtseven, N. (2010). Mentorluk hizmetinin Yabancı Diller Yüksekokulu’nda okuyan öğrencilerin akademik başarıları, öz yeterlik algıları ve kaynakları yönetme stratejileri üzerindeki etkisi (Yayımlanmamış yüksek lisans tezi). Yıldız Teknik Üniversitesi, Türkiye.
- Yıldırım, A. & Şimşek, H. (2008). Sosyal bilimlerde nitel araştırma yöntemleri. Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık.
- Yıldız Technical University School of Foreign Languages Archive. English Proficiency Exam Records. [14.10.2012].
- Zimmerman, B. J. (2000). Attaining self-regulation: A social cognitive perspective. In Boekaerts, M., Pintrich P. R., Zeidner, M. (Eds.), Handbook of self-regulation (13-39). ABD: Academic Press.