Student’s Opinions Of Kuwait University’s Role In The Disseminate Of Societal Culture
Rashed Al-Sahel & Mahammad Al-Abdulghafour
pp. 1-9 | MID: ijers.2011.003
Manuscript Views: 48 | Manuscript Download: 55
Values and beliefs of any society are considered as ones of the important issues for the identification of the society, and it is one of the main roles of higher education institutes to develop and enhance these values and beliefs among students. Kuwait University is regarded as one of the important institutes of higher education in Kuwait. Therefore, it is responsible to enhance the societal values and beliefs of the society among students.
There were two aims of this study. The first aim was that, according to the students' opinions to what extent that Kuwait University has disseminated the societal culture among the students. The second aim was that to what extent that there are significant differences between students of the sample regarding their sex and their field of study. The researchers built a questionnaire for this purpose. The questionnaire was divided to three parts; part one for the role of community courses that Kuwait University teaches them for the dissemination of societal culture, part two for the role of faculties in the dissemination of societal culture and part three for the role of students' activities in the dissemination of societal culture.
The results indicated that the university students learned societal culture more significantly than they learned from the role of faculties and from students’ activities. In the other hand, there was no significant difference between the role of faculties and students’ activities in the dissemination of societal culture among students. The results also indicated that there were no significant differences between boys and girls in learning societal culture from students’ activities or from faculties. Both indicated close level of affect in developing societal culture among boys and girls. On the other hand, girls showed significant differences than boys in learning societal culture regarding community courses. But there was no significant differences between boys and girls in learning societal culture regarding students’ activities and faculties, Finally, the results showed that there was no significant differences between students in their opinions about the university’s role in disseminations the societal culture regarding the students’ fields.
Keywords: Culture, Societal, Kuwait, University, Students
- Abdulghafour, M. (1994). To What Extent that the High school Curriculum Covers the Necessary Values After the Stage of Kuwait’ Liberation and. Journal of Educational Studies. Egypt. 67 (9) 75-103. Al-Ansari, M. Eissa (2007). Types of Moral Behaviors of Kuwait University Students as Perceiving by Faculty Members. The Educational Journal. Kuwait University. 82 (21): 51-88.
- Al-Duaij, Abdul Aziz (2002). Reasons Hindering Kuwait University Students from Participating in Non- Academic Activities. The Educational Journal. Kuwait University. 64 (16): 67-108.
- Al-Jallal, Nadir (2002). Record of Deanery of Admissions and Registration 2001/2002. Kuwait University.
- Al-Raished, H. Faleh (2000). Some of Elements related with Educational Values Among Students at College of Education, Kuwait University. The Educational Journal. Kuwait University. 56 (14): 15-63.
- Al-Rumaidhi, M. Khaled (2004). Fundamentals of Education between Conflicts Theories and Failing of Applications. Kuwait: University Student Press.
- Al-Sahel, A. Rashed and Al-Asousi, A. Nasser (1994). Adolescents’ Attitudes Towards Taking Personal and Family Responsibility In Kuwait. Journal of Counseling. Ain Shams University. Cairo. (3) 275-297.
- Al-Sawi, W. Mohammad (2000). Goals of Gulf Cooperation Council Universities. The Educational Journal. Kuwait University. 55 (14): 77-121.
- Al-Soliman, S. Soliman (1998). The Role of Teacher’s College Regarding Strengthening
- Loyalty in its Students in Saudi Arabia. The Educational Journal. Kuwait University.
- 47 (12): 183-234.
- Hamada, A. Abdulmahsen (1989). The Importance of Teaching the Community Courses at the University for Achieving Its Mission. The Educational Journal. Kuwait University. 22 (6): 265-303.
- Hameed, Fatima (2006). The Common Values and their Relationship with Social Adjustment among Seven October University in Libya. Unpublished Paper. University of Marqib.
- College of Art. Department of Education and Psychology. Libya.
- İbrahim, M. Ali (1997). Elective Courses: A Study of Factors Affecting Course-Selection by Students of Sultan Qaboos University. The Educational Journal. Kuwait University. 44 (11): 185-224.
- Kalish, Richard and Collier, Kenneth (1981). Exploring Human Values:
- Psychological and Philosophical Consideration. California: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- Nasser, Ibrahim (2004). Foundations of Education. Humans Awareness. First Edition. Oman: Scientific Alraed Press.
- Student University Guide (2009). Deanery of Admissions and Registration. Kuwait University.
A Study On The University Students’ Levels Of Tendency To Violence And Aggression In Relation With The Need They Feel About Receiving Informal Art Education (Erzincan Case Study)
pp. 10-20 | MID: ijers.2011.004
Manuscript Views: 54 | Manuscript Download: 69
This study was carried out to detect the university students’ need levels of receiving art education informally, and to determine if there is a significant difference between the levels of tendency to violence and aggression levels according to the need they feel about receiving art education informally. This study was conducted with 182 (78 male, 104 female) students who study at Erzincan University. “Scale of need for receiving art education informally” developed by the researcher, “Aggression Scale” developed by Tuzgöl, “Scale of tendency to violence” developed by Göka, Bayat and Türkçapar were used respectively to measure the students’ needs for receiving art education informally, to measure the levels of aggression, and to measure their “tendency to violence”. In the analysis of the data, Kruskal Wallis H test, one of non-parametric tests, was used to compare scores belonging to the dependent variable of the unrelated sample and Person Correlation Coefficient was used to determine the relationship between the two variables. At the end of the study, according to the need they feel about receiving art education informally, no significant difference was found between the students’ levels of aggression and tendency levels to violence. In a positive way, a significant relationship was found out between the students’ levels of aggression and tendency levels to violence.
Keywords: Art Education, Informal Education, Aggression, Tendency to Violence
- Budak, Y. (2009). Yaşamboyu Öğrenme ve İlköğretim Programlarının Hedeflemesi Gereken İnsan Tipi. G.Ü., Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 29, 693 - 708.
- Buyurgan, S & Kumral Ç. (2007). Bireyin Eğitim Sürecinde Sanat Eğitimi Neden Yer Almalıdır? 3. Ulusal Sanat Eğitimi Sempozyumu, 19 - 21Kasım. Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi, Ankara.
- Çoraklı, E., Barsamyan, M., & Tuzcuoğlu, S. (2007). Müzik Öğretmeni adaylarının Piyano Dersindeki Başarıları İle Kişilik Özellikleri Arasındaki İlişki. 3. Ulusal Sanat Eğitimi Sempozyumu, 19 - 21 Kasım. Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi, Ankara.
- Freud, S. (2007). Sanat ve Sanatçılar Üzerine. ( Çev. K. Şipal). (Dördüncü baskı). İstanbul: Yapı Kredi Yayınları
- Fromm, E. (2008). Sevgi ve şiddetin kaynağı ( Çev.Y. Salman, N. İçten). (7. Basım). İstanbul: Payel yayıncılık.
- Göksan, T. S., Uzundurukan, S.,& Keskin, N. S. (2009), Yaşam Boyu Öğrenme ve Avrupa Birliği’nin Yaşam Boyu Öğrenme Programları. 1. İnşaat Mühendisliği Eğitim Sempozyumu, 6-7 Kasım, Antalya. Retrieved Marc 19, 2011, from
- About Receiving Informal Art Education (Erzincan Case Study)
- Kızmaz, Z. (2006 Mayıs). Okullardaki Şiddet Davranışının Kaynakları Üzerine Kuramsal Bir Yaklaşım. Cumhuriyet Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 30 (1), 47-70. Retrieved January 7, 2011, http://www.ikinciadim.org/makaleler/siddetdavranisininkaynaklari.pdf
- Krug, E.G., Mercy, A.J., Dahlberg, L.L., & Zwi, A.B. (2002a). The world report on violence and health. Geneva: World Health Organization. Retrieved February 10, 2010, from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2002/9241545615_eng.pdf
- Michaud, Y. (1986). Şiddet. (Çev: Cem Muhtaroğlu). İstanbul: İletişim yayıncılık.
- Moeller, T. G. (2001). Youth Aggression and Violence: A Psychological Approach.USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Özsoy, V.(2007). Sanat Eğitimi ve Şiddet Sempozyumu Açılış Konuşması. 3. Ulusal Sanat Eğitimi Sempozyumu, 19 - 21 Kasım. Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi, Ankara.
- Peden M, McGee K,& Sharma G.(2002b). The injury chart book: a graphical overview of the global burden of injuries. Geneva, World Health Organization. Retrieved March 10, 2011, from http://www.google.com.tr/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3 A%2F%2Fwhqlibdoc.who.int%2Fpublications%2F924156220x.pdf&rct=j&q=The%20injur y%20chart%20book%3A%20a%20graphical%20overview%20of%20the%20global%20bu rden%20of%20injuries.%20Geneva&ei=NbvVTO2HDor5sgaBqdHUCA&usg=AFQjCNFvvh nDKzZjST4mZ1Nz-SYtJsqGNA
- Smith, P. (2000). Violence and Art Education. National Art Education Association Convention, Retrieved January 11, 2011, from, http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED441732.pdf
- Taşkesen, O. (2011). Güzel Sanatlar Ve Spor Liselerinin Resim Bölümleri İle Genel Liselerde Verilen Görsel Sanatlar Eğitiminin Öğrencilerin Şiddete Yönelik Davranışlarına Etkileri Üzerine Bir Araştırma. Unpublished MA thesis. Gazi University, Ankara.
- Toy, B. (2006), Sanat Egitimi Alan ve Almayan 15-17 Yas Grubundaki Ergenlerin Sosyal Uyumlarının ve Benlik Tasarım Düzeylerinin İncelenmesi, Unpublished MA thesis, Ankara University, Ankara
- Türkiye İstatistik Kurumu. (2008). 2008 Ölüm İstatistikleri, Retrieved January 17, 2011, from http://www.tuik.gov.tr/demografiapp/olum.zul
- Türkiye İstatistik Kurumu. (2008). Ceza İnfaz Kurumuna Giren Hükümlü İstatistikleri, Retrieved January 17, 2011, from http://www.tuik.gov.tr/VeriBilgi.do?tb_id=1&ust_id=12 04.04.2011 tarihinde alınmıştır.
- Tuzgöl, M. (1998). Ana-Baba Tutumları Farklı Lise Öğrencilerinin Saldırganlık Düzeylerinin Çeşitli Değişkenler Açısından incelenmesi. Türk Psikolojik Danışma ve Rehberlik Dergisi, 2 (14), 40-41
- T.C. Başbakanlık Aile Araştırma Kurumu (1998). Aile İçinde ve Toplumsal Alanda Şiddet. Ankara: Başbakanlık Basımevi
- Uzman E. , Temiz E. (2007) Sanat Eğitiminin Üniversite öğrencilerinin saldırganlık düzeyleri ve kendini ayarlama davranışlarına etkisi. 3. Ulusal Sanat Eğitimi Sempozyumu, 19 - 21 Kasım. Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi, Ankara.